Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Oracle



I didn’t post here on Halloween because I became traumatized by the media’s sudden obsession with slutty costumes and the realization that I am the only woman in America who does not own one. A frantic shopping spree ensued, but when I couldn't get my hands on a Vixen Pirate Wench outfit I decided to call it a day.

So here's my belated Halloween post, with obligatory corny-scary wisecracks.

I recently warned that Proxyland (the place, not the blog) faces a threat to its way of life. Its enemies are gradually assembling a bunch of WMDs – like majority voting and proxy access – and seem quite serious about using them.

I'm not the only one painting this scream-inducing scenario. The well-respected John Wilcox, former proxy solicitor and now Head of Corporate Governance at TIAA-CREF (the public pension fund turned financial services behemoth) has decided to scare the living hell out of corporate America with his "optimist’s view " of ten trends that could change the way things are done around here.

Among the possibilities Wilcox sees in his rose-colored crystal ball:

- Corporate social responsibility, formerly relegated to gadflies and special interest groups, will be recognized as key corporate governance responsibilities for which directors should be held accountable.

- Executive compensation will be brought into line by a combination of factors: enhanced SEC disclosure requirements, an advisory shareholder vote on compensation committee reports, and recognition of the need for internal pay equity.

- The model of the imperial, celebrity CEO will be replaced by the stewardship model
.

Wow, he really is an optimist.

I’d better start working on my Halloween costume for next year. Hey, how about "imperial CEO"? Surely that comes in a slutty version.